Interesting facts to consider:
Most of the conventional cleaning products we all grew up with are petroleum-based and have dubious health and environmental implications. Instead of opting for cleaning products that annihilate everything in their path, there are plenty of natural products and methods that keep a house clean and fresh-smelling without the toxic side effects.
- 17,000: petrochemicals are available for home use,only 30 percent of which have been tested for exposure to human health and the environment.
- 63: synthetic chemical products found in the average American home, translating to roughly 10 gallons of harmful chemicals.
- 275: active ingredients in antimicrobials that the EPA classifies as pesticides because they are designed to kill microbes.
- 5 billion: pounds of chemicals that the institutional cleaning industry uses each year.
- 23: gallons of chemicals (that’s 87 liters) that a janitor uses each year, 25 percent of which are hazardous.